Friday, December 30, 2011

Retirement is Kind of Like Not Working

Retirement is kind of like not working. Wait, you don't work when you retire. Some how I've convinced myself that I do work but I just have an easy job and I set my own hours. Everyone told me that I would hate retirement. My shrink thought I'd be bored or feel worthless. He never has really accepted my role and obligations as a queen. I also think he thinks I have issues with reality. Enough about him. I really like retirement. I like setting my own hours with no schedule. I did try a schedule but it only lasted one day because I took a nap and got off schedule. I like the freedom to socialize and not feel like I should be home cleaning, doing laundry or grading papers. I like walking on the beach having the feeling I'm on an endless vacation. I like having leisurely meals, going out for lunch, eating meals in my Tinker Bell PJ's, and watching TV while eating breakfast. I find doing nothing productive. I like hanging out with Nesha and Nicole and looking at the latest things at their Boutique. I like staying up late, sleeping late, and leaving things until tomorrow. There are days that it is noon until I realize I haven't brushed my hair. I try to have it together before Rob gets home from work but if I don't I just tell him that I just got up from a nap. I love hanging out with Julie and Mary in Florida. I like hanging out in bed in the morning thinking about nothing or about the color aqua.  I have no idea why I am obsessed with the color aqua these days but when you are retired you have the time to think about all kind of useless things like having an aqua laundry room and new recipes on Pinterest. I try every couple of days to do the hair and make up thing. I also volunteer at church and try to learn something new each day. I make lots of plans for things like what bathing suit I should wear to the beach, what book to take and what kind of snacks would taste could for the day. I'm happy for people who love to work.  I'm just glad it is not me anymore. I think part of it is I just don't have the patience anymore for following orders, having a schedule, listening to anyone or even pretending to. I love my flip flops and very casual dress. I love not packing a lunch and trying to eat it in fifteen minutes. I love not going out early if it is rainy. I love not going out early at all. I like not having to say good morning because many days it is noon before I venture out. I think I'm actually pretty good at retirement considering that I never had any formal training, an in service or attended a conference on it. I don't even need an administrator telling me how to do it. I just get up or even some days not get up and do it. Funny thing how doing nothing kind of grows on you after years of working.

1 comment: