Friday, September 23, 2011

Grab a Hand and Hang On

OK, so I admit that some people think Chris and I are negative in our blogs sometimes. Chris's Mom, Mary, thinks he should blog about positive things like fall leaves.  I think Chris and I are cut from the same cloth as scary as that my be. We write about life and how we feel about it and how life can get very messing and crazy at a moment's notice. Last night, while watching "Grey's Anatomy", I knew what I would blog about today and that would be the general theme of last night's show. The theme played out as a sink hole opened up in the street, caused by a main water line leak, and sucked people down from a perfectly normal day into pure hell. Only on TV, not really. I, very early in my young adult life, awoke from a fairly typical college life to a brother knocking at my door one morning with the diagnoses of cancer, a few years later a devastating flood raged through my hometown, and the list goes on. Life is not always predictable and sometimes it is positively wonderful. Many times I am in awe of everything including fall leaves but sometimes life sucks and that is the nicest way I can think of to say it. I've never been one to walk around sugar coating life. I pretty much say what I think. I think for years TV tried to portray perfect families, in perfect homes, in perfect neighborhoods. I also think there are people on social networks, like face book, that try to do the same thing. Everyone gets that perfect Christmas card every year from the perfect family. That is not me.  I know life can be harsh. I saw it on the faces of students in my classrooms for 30 years and they had done nothing to deserve it. I like people to know my life is not perfect because let's face it, we all know life is not perfect and why make people feel bad or unfortunate by sugar coating something that isn't. I do try to find humor in it all and with the help of others stay relatively positive. I always root for the underdog and I love people who overcome insurmountable odds. Life is very good at times as we all know but no one is immune to being sucked into a sink hole in a moments notice. So Chris and I will probably at sometime write about the wonders of fall  and things that we really like but also plan on reading our thoughts on all sides of this thing called life. As Meredith Grey said last night "Sometimes the best you can hope for is for someone to love and them to love you, and grab their hand and hang on for the ride." I for one, have had a pretty bumpy ride the last year and so hasn't Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment