Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Felton Hill Road

Dad and I went to check out the new Felton Hill Road Sign in Etam today, just outside of Rowlesburg. The Felton Hill Road sign hasn't always been there. It is one of the new rural road signs to go up in Preston County over the last couple of years. Felton Hill Road is a very narrow, steep, mountain road that leads up to the old Felton farm place.  The first inhabitants of the Felton farm were Daniel Felton and Mary C. Lantz-Felton. They were my Dad's great grandparents and my great-great grandparents. My Dad's grandparents and my great grandparents  lived on the same farm. My great grandfather's name was Charles Mortimer Bishop Felton and my great grandmother's name was Melvina- Loughry Felton. My Dad's parents or my grandparents were Junior Daniel Felton and Ova Mary Goff- Felton. Anyway, that is how you end up related to everyone in Preston County if you stay around in the same place for a couple of hundred years like the Felton's have in the Etam/Rowlesburg area. That is why my brothers and I have all married people from out of the area or even the state.  We couldn't find anyone we weren't related to in the immediate area. Rob was really happy about this fact. A four-wheel drive is recommended for this rough, steep country road and country road driving ability. I had to pull to the side of the round one time and some one pulled over for me. The foundation to my great grandparents house is still about 3/4 of the way up the mountain. The view at the  top of Felton's Hill at Mount Sarah Methodist Church is worth the drive.  It is the photo for the definition "God's Country."  The cemetery at Mount Sarah is where my cousin Libby is buried. I'm going to do a photo journal blog of this area soon but today was just for driving and looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment