Sunday, August 14, 2011

Rob's surgery

I honestly try to not make everything about me, but Rob's surgery has taken a toll on me.  First, I had to get up early to take Rob to the hospital. I grabbed a quick breakfast at McDonalds which took me a half hour and two floors of the hospital to eat. While they were preparing Rob for surgery, I tried to make myself comfortable in the waiting room.  I set up my lap top, book, the rest of my breakfast and picked a comfy chair.  I thought I was good to go.  NO!! No internet access, so I walked to the nurses station and asked for the pass code.  I assumed since everyone from Motel 8 to McDonalds has wireless access that the hospital would. The first nurse said she didn't think they had wireless service. The physician sitting behind her on his mini lap top obviously on wireless, interrupted and said "Yes, we do, I'm on it now." The other person at the nurses station thought they had wireless but didn't know the access code. She said she could call the tech person but that they were really mean to everyone.  The physician said, "She is nice to me." I thought but didn't say.  " No shit, everyone is nice to doctors at a hospital, because they can get your ass fired." Anyway, they said they would check about the access code. I told them to let me know and that I was going back to the waiting room. I went into Rob's room to complain about the internet access to him.  He was hooked up to an IV and had his body shaved clear up to his chest, which I thought was a little ridiculous since his incision would be down south. Anyway, Rob informed me that I was being insensitive and making his surgery about me. Rob will be heavily medicated the next few hours.  I needed something to do. I went back to the waiting room.  The lady came and informed me that there is no service for patients or family members.  I suggested that it was the 21st century and they might want to rethink that.  She said I could fill out a complaint form.  I asked her if it was on line. I went back to Rob's room, gave him a kiss and sent him off to surgery. Back to the waiting room.  Thank Goodness I brought my book, "Listening to Prozac" to read. I'm reading it to find out everything I can about Prozac since my shrink prescribed it for me.  Some people aren't big fans of it but I am and everyone who has to live with me always makes sure I take it every morning. Some people tend to think I need medicated.  I have no idea why.  Oh, yea, I forgot this was about Rob's surgery. Did I mention it was hernia surgery. I try to prevent hernias by doing as little as possible. I read my book for awhile, but grew tired so I took a little nap.  Big mistake!  For the next two days my upper back was in spasms from sleeping in the chair. The doctor arrived in the waiting room about two and 1/2 hours later to inform me Rob was fine. Great, because his list for summer house repairs  isn't even half complete. I knew Rob was awake when I heard him yelling, "Is any one home?"  I let the nurse cover this one and a few more because I knew what was in store for me the next week or so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment