Sunday, August 7, 2011

Things I've learned at Mom and Dad's This Week

These are the things I've learned at Mom and Dad's this week.  First, it is good if we are all on our meds.  Two, as you age you revert to behavior that very much resembles the same behavior you had around nine or ten. My past years of teaching elementary education are coming in handy.  I learned this week that Mom and Dad don't share very well with each other, especially food.  I learned this week to write their names of their individual meals and to divide things into fair equal servings.  Mom used to count out our family bag of M&M's into four cups for each child, and my Grandma Ova would let one kid divide and the other choose first. Then there is Rob.  I returned home from Mom and Dad's house the other day and Rob had gotten us a little meat and cheese platter to SHARE. I had a couple of pieces. An hour or so later, Rob asked for the cheese tray.  I did a couple of chores and thought I would have a piece or two of cheese. Rob had taken a bite out of every piece.  I couldn't believe it. I do not see Rob and I aging well together. I'm thinking he should just always work.  Anyway, I've also learned that if the channels aren't in a constant flipping mode that Dad is asleep, which is my chance to watch HGTV.  Senior citizens meals coming at 11:30.  The Sharpie comes out at 11:31 to label the meals with names. I have to pick out Dad's clothes if we go out just like I do Rob's and Justin's.  Actually, Cassie picks out Justin's clothes for social functions, so I get a little break there. I have to talk really loud to Mom and Dad.  It is about the same volume I use on the playground during recess duty during Buckwheat Week.  I'm not going to miss that. I'm getting really good at filling up those multiple day, week long pill containers and using a pill splitter. I've also learned to teach 83 year old people about facebook.  I think I know how Mark Graham feels teaching the middle age staff computer skills at Kingwood Elementary. Dad watches lots of stupid TV shows and he won't go outside and play. Mom still likes telling me what to do and I still don't listen. The basement is still a neat place to explore. My brothers still annoy me. Really much hasn't changed in 50 years except I don't share my bags of M&M's.

No comments:

Post a Comment