Sunday, November 27, 2011

Day Three of My Holiday Advice: Give to Those Less Fortunate

I was already to write my blog tonight on Christmas cookies, but I can't now. Why, because I would feel too guilty and rightfully so. Rob and I were working on Christmas cards, watching football when 60 Minutes came on TV, a little late because of the game but still on right after the game. The preview of the segments caught my attention when they mentioned the homeless children of central Florida. One reason it, of course, caught my attention is because that is where I am hanging out for the winter months.  The other reason is because even though I know there is a major housing and building crash here, we live in an area where we are surrounded by multimillion dollar homes lining the banks of the Halifax River and the beach of the Atlantic Ocean from Flagler to Daytona. Unknown to me, the county bordering us, Seminole County, has an extremely high rate of homeless children living in poverty. Many of their parents lost their jobs because of the housing crash. These are children that are casualties of the lingering recession in our country.  They wash their faces and brush their teeth for school in the morning in gas station restrooms, eat cold food out of cans, and sleep in vehicles in parking lots at night. So what does this have to do with the Christmas season?  Everything. Remember the story about no room in the Inn.  For these children, there is no Inn. So what can we do?  Give!  Do with out one dessert, one gift, one extra meal out, one bag of candy, one more Christmas sweater and donate to a homeless shelter, food pantry, a food kitchen, drop off some school supplies at a school that could be given to students who probably need them, take a food basket to a family,  give to a toy drive, or buy something at a thrift store that supports the homeless. Most of us have more than enough and definitely enough to give to someone else.

2 comments:

  1. Amen! We can make a difference even if it's just a little act. Little is much when God is in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We also saw that segment of 60 Minutes. I agree that one act of kindness/giving means more than that "gotta have item. Maybe we can volunteer at a local food bank this season.

    ReplyDelete