Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Stick to the Topic

Where's the tape? My family is obsessed with tape. When I met Rob he said his Grandfather Kemack thought the answer to everything was tape and he had bags of it. Rob was correct on that statement. When his Grandfather died over 25 years ago, we inherited his bags of tape. We still have some left and of course have added to it. I always liked tape as a kid and my students seem to love tape. They would create these masterpieces of paper and tape while they should have been studying their multiplication facts or spelling words. I would catch them sticking them in their ears and mouths.  They hoarded them in their desks, made them for friends, tried to sell them. Anyway, I had to put a limit on how much tape they could have in a day. When I had a substitute, I always returned to an empty tape dispenser. My last year of teaching colored duct tape was the rage in my class. Rob and I seen to always have transparent tape. masking tape, duct tape, clear packing tape, electrical tape, and a sticky stringy type of tape his Grandfather kept always around the house. The day doesn't feel complete if I don't tape something. When I was cleaning David's house out. He had a junk drawer in his kitchen full of tape. First thing this morning, I thought I need to put some tape on this envelope before I put it out for the mail. Tape is one of those comfort things in life that just seems to make things right. I don't know why but I feel much safer in a house that has a drawer with tape in it. It also helps if there is a gun in the same drawer.

1 comment: