Saturday, July 23, 2011

Candles Burning Out Way Too Early

Amy Winehouse died today.  I liked her music. I loved her voice. Amy had addictions. Many of us have addictions. We really don't talk about addictions much but maybe we should. Addictions are tied very closely to mental health.  Maybe that is why we don't talk about them. I think we would probably have fewer addictions if people were mentally healthy. If we had few addictions, fewer people would die from their addictions. It isn't always famous people who die from their addictions.  It is everyday, ordinary people of all walks of life and all ages. So why do we have addictions? Everyone has a reason and there are many different reasons.  I have a very addictive personality, and have had my share of addictions at different times in my life. That really is the first step for people to admit they are addicted. Not an easy first step. Sometimes people die from their addictions before they even admit to themselves that they have an addiction. It took me years to admit I had any addictions and came at a rather late age. Actually, it just kind of came out one day at my psychiatrist's office. I said something like "My addictions are a full time job." By the way, most people think I'm kidding when I say I see a psychiatrist. I'm not. Some of my coworkers even thought I made up the story to go shopping. Sorry, not a made up story to go shopping.  The older I get the more I think, if we were all mentally healthier less bad things would happen. Yet we are more afraid of admitting our weaknesses and addictions than we are of watching each other slowly kill ourselves. Amy Winehouse was talented, intelligent, witty, shy and a drug addict. So why the drug addict? Like many of us, she found it hard dealing with life and all of its complications with out something to take the edge off. I found it strange that our society will almost accept drug use whether it be alcohol, heroin, caffeine, nicotine or marijuana before it will accept getting mental health. Why do we find it shocking that some one gets counseling or has mental health issues? Surprisingly when I open up about seeing someone others at times will say they do too or have seen some one at a difficult time in their life. I think back over the last few years to people lost to me that I will never see again, talk to or enjoy their talents, sadly, maybe, they could have been saved with the right treatment, counselor or doctor.  Our modern society is crazy, fast paced, demanding and very trying at times. I love my psychiatrist.  He keeps me grounded, focused and gives me the skills I need to de-stress, relax, reflect and accept life's challenges.  My family and best friends know I see someone and are very accepting of what I need to be a healthy me. I wish everyone had family and friends like mine. I wish Amy had found a doctor like mine before it was too late. Encourage anyone in your life to get help before their candle burns out way too early.

1 comment:

  1. I get crap from every angle for being honest and putting it out there that T has mental health issues and an addiction. It sucks, to be honest. We are a joke to people, even to our own family.

    *sigh*

    ReplyDelete