Thursday, July 7, 2011

What's for dinner?

The words "What's for dinner?" can send me over the edge and has at times. For years, I would barely be out of bed and Rob would ask, "What's for dinner?" We hadn't had breakfast yet or lunch or gone to work or gotten dressed but he was asking, "What's for dinner?"  For many years, I was nice about it and would reply with an appropriate answer but I few years ago something happened.  It was probably a cold, snowy, winter morning when school should have been cancelled and wasn't and I was not looking forward to getting out of bed, let alone anything else, when Rob said those three words "WHAT'S FOR DINNER?"  A volcanic fire of words erupted from my mouth and my body trembled with near earthquake like rage.  Rob has never asked again but we have made some compromises in our house with the menu planning, purchasing of food, putting food away, and preparing food. The following is not for the faint of heart.  First I like eating.  I just don't like getting to the place where you actually eat. I know I have a degree in Home Economics but that is beside the point. I was more into the child care, interior design, and fashion merchandising part of my degree. With rain in the forecast, we decided today would be the day I dread. Menu planning and GROCERY SHOPPING. We got out cook books and I went on line for dinner ideas. I'm not sure how you can eat for over 50 years and can't come up with 5 dinner ideas but I blame it on menopause. I actually blame everything now on menopause, We came or I actually came up with most of the dinner ideas. Then, I admit, I took a nap and Rob made out the grocery list from the menu we made. I have begun taking many naps in the last few years but I also blame this on guess what?  MENOPAUSE. After my nap, we went grocery shopping to Walmart.  I hate grocery shopping. I hate going to Walmart.  It is a little better here than in Kingwood, because I don't run into a million people I know. I always tell Rob he is not allowed to visit at the Walmart in Kingwood, but it never works.  He can turn a shopping trip to Walmart into a class reunion. I don't really like reunions either. The Walmart here is huge and has a McDonalds in it so I counted shopping as my walk for today. Rob and I don't shop alike. I get distracted easily and Rob likes to walk up and down every aisle and look at every item and discuss each item. He loves all the ethnic food sections here so there is even more here that he likes to look at and talk about. I kind of like to wander around the store and head to whatever catches my eye. I also like to basically get in the store and get out.  Rob likes to discuss spices and cooking tips with people. After the ORDEAL OF food selection then it is waiting in line. I hate waiting in line. Tonight I went to the bathroom while Rob checked out. It was raining so I waited and Rob got the car. I hate walking through the parking lot in flip flops when it is raining. I was so exhausted from shopping that we stopped for "to go" on the way home. Once we are home, it is time to unload the car. I help bring in the first bags then I start unpacking the bags while Rob unloads the car. I let Rob put most of the things away, except the candy, since he really needs to know where things are when he starts preparing our meals. While he puts things away I have time to check facebook or write a blog about how difficult my life has become during menopause.

1 comment:

  1. But, I'm here to say it is survivable! Just don't kill anyone on the trip....

    ReplyDelete