Saturday, April 23, 2011

Thoughts for Easter

A few thoughts for Easter. I was chatting with Robin about Easter today. We shared a few common opinions about Jesus. The first was he got out there.  We both agreed that meant he got out among the people. He didn't hang out in the temple and preach to the choir, as the say.  Jesus went out among the sick. poor, unbelievers and sinners.  He was a rebel who stood many times alone for what he believed in.  Jesus was not a wealthy person but shared with all everything he had. At times, I think the greatest lesson that we can take from Easter is that of coming back after what seems impossible odds. I think at times many of us feel crucified and as my Grandmother always said "We all have our crosses to bare."  I think at times the best things that we can do is to be more Christ like. With that statement made, I mean to get out there and help out those who really need help. Witness with deeds not self righteous statements and judgements. I also think maybe baring our crosses with more dignity and helping others bare their crosses that closely resemble our crosses. I think to admit to others we have burdens without whining or drawing unnecessary attention to ourselves can free us to help others as well as freeing others to realize they are not alone. One of Jesus sole purposes was to let us know that we are not alone, yet we let others suffer needlessly by not being accepting, understanding, caring or giving in their time of need. I am not a regular church attending person but feel more compelled to be out among the people. One night at a local small town bar, a former student came up to me and asked me to pray for another former student. Many would not agree with my next statement and possibly be even judgemental but I felt the presence of God at that moment. I think trying to do the right thing is a 7 day a week 24 hour a day job and I don't think we all have to do it the same way.  If Jesus had just hung out at the temple most of the time, what would have changed and would he have really made anyone mad or changed anyone? I don't claim to know the answers, in fact I ask a lot of questions. Jesus did not have blind faith. In fact, he questioned everyone and everything going on in the world during his time, but he made time for the least desirable people of his time, the crippled, the sick, the weak, the poor, the nonbelievers and the sinners. What do we do on a typical day? Who do we make time for? What would Jesus want us to do on those other 6 days? Just a few thoughts for Easter.

1 comment: