Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Growing up with brothers

Maybe it is because I was raised with boys but don't screw over me. I have three brothers and no sisters. I grew up playing with dolls but also playing Army and shooting guns. My twin brother and I had boxing gloves and fought with them on and off. My brothers picked on me and I learn self defense at a young age. Now, self defense consisted of two things. One route I used was telling on them to my Mom.  The other was to hit back. I'm sorry but at 52 there are still some people I would really just like to deck. I've never understood women's style of fighting with the behind the back, back stabbing, lying and denying. I would prefer to just get in someones face and get it over with. This gets me back to the first point of don't screw over me because I will confront you, get in your face, and try not to deck you. I think more people should learn to take up for themselves. I watch people at work and in every aspect of life being taken advantage of and yes screwed over by people who are bullies or people who tend to think that they are just better than everyone else. I'm talking adult bullies not kid bullies. I'm talking about people who try and get by with taking advantage of other people and situations, especially people that they think are weak. Many of these people even consider themselves good Christians. They never expect any consequences for their bad behavior because generally many people will get upset and complain but they never really take up for themselves. I have found myself many times in situations where I stood up for myself, and the bullies were shocked. They get a look on their face, loose their train of thought and speech and have no idea how to react. I still am a little amazed that adults actually think they can act like bullies and no one is ever going to stand up to them. Did they not learn that old playground rule that there is always someone bigger and badder to take you out. Growing up with boys just naturally taught me to take up for myself so nobody really does scare me. I've had my share of black eyes, broken teeth and bruises but I've always kept my dignity intact.I like strong women, women who will take up for themselves and others. Most people know not to mess with me but I have come across a few that always under estimate me or have never experienced a women with opinions that will defend herself. Principals have a love and hate relationship with me. They know I'm a great teacher but they also know they can't intimidate me. Now that is a very scary thing to them, a women who will fight, a women who will defend herself and others, a women who will go to no end to protect her students or defend the underdog. A strong women also scares other women, which is sad, because all women should strive to be strong. I try to teach all the girls in my life to be strong and take up for themselves and learning to threw a good punch isn't a bad idea either.

No comments:

Post a Comment