Friday, January 28, 2011

The Rowlesburg Shale Pile

OK,  everyone knows I'm from Rowlesburg and still live here, so I think since occasionally I will be writing and mentioning Rowlesburg in my Blog it will be easier for my Rowlesburg followers and non-Rowlesburg followers to all be on the same page. Today will be a history lesson on the Shale Pile. First, the Shale Pile is a place, and you have to be in a certain generation to understand its history and what it signifies. The Shale Pile is on the Manheim side of the Cheat River Bridge in Rowlesburg. It is Chessie System Railroad property on the right side of the road after directly coming off the bridge. I have made calls and asked different people why it is called the Shale Pile and I can't seem to get an official answer. If anyone reading this blog post knows please comment. Back to the history of this Rowlesburg landmark, actually it is more of a cultural historic landmark of the 1970's and early 1980's. I know everyone is dying to know what the Shale Pile is or was. First, it is a piece of land, rather undescriptive with drive able dirt paths throughout it. I should add drive able for some people. Second, before anyone gets worried, no names, dates, or specific events will be named in this blog. Third, the Shale Pile took on a life of its own during the 70's. Most of my information has come from other people because I rarely went there, The Shale Pile was a gathering place. It is where you went when you were lonely, wanted to have some fun or lots of fun. Our parents called it the "party place". I called my Dad and asked  him why it was called the Shale Pile. He said he does know and didn't remember much about it. That is really good for me, which also means I may still be in the family will. Yes, it was a party place, a parking place, a hanging out place, and yes a getting into trouble place. I'm hoping my Dad has also forgotten about the couple of times that he came to the Shale Pile late at night to drag my butt home. Many people seem to have conveniently forgotten about the Shale Pile. It may be because they are now lawyers, doctors, teachers, in law enforcement, mothers, fathers, grandparents, or just generally responsible adults now. I haven't forgotten. I think the happenings of the Shale Pile would make a great book and I will probably write it someday. The stories of the the Shale Pile are infamous among a certain group of nameless people. When I take people to the Shale Pile now and try to explain it, they just don't seem to get it. I guess it is one of those times and places that you just had to be there.

2 comments:

  1. Ha! I know exactly what you are talking about - ours was the "Old Dam". Party Central. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard of these sort of places, but I have never BEEN to one my own self. :-)

    ReplyDelete