Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Nobody is perfect.

Nobody is perfect and many of us are members of religious groups that are based on being loved even though we are imperfect, being forgiven for sins, forgiving others, and working towards being better people. Yet, I constantly find people expecting everyone but themselves to be perfect, being very unforgiving, and casting way to many stones. The older I get the more I have come to accept my own imperfections and faults not without help. I also realize that growing and learning is going to come with its share of mistakes and failures. I think we should all stop and think before we cast the first stone. I have not lead a perfect life. I grew up and still live in a small town and you can find many old and dear friends of mine who can share with you more than a few of my adventures, misadventures, and crazy times. I have grown up since then. Thank God for that, but many of these things have also made me the person I am today.  I am one of those people who do believe in God's forgiveness, second chances, friends who stick by you, trying to be a better person each day and moving on. I believe in reaching out to people instead of attacking them with stones. I think maybe how things could have been different in Arizona on Saturday had someone  reached out to the young man obviously suffering from mental illness. I do believe in holding people accountable but I also believe that we all need to be there for each other. I find too often people want to make it us against them, or we are deserving but you aren't. I have always been for the underdog. The person who hasn't been handed everything. The person who takes a second chance and does well. I am proud of many former students I know who are going back to school. Life is not easy and it is not a contest. Nobody is perfect, no body's kids are perfect. Our homes get dirty, our lives get messy and sometimes we need help. Sometimes we need someone to believe in us, take up for us, cheer us on, lead us in the right direction, and be a friend. Stones hurt, and can be thrown back. I like to use stones to build flower beds, little walls and decorate with, but then again I believe in forgiveness and second chances.

1 comment: