Thursday, January 6, 2011

When enough is enough

A few years ago when I felt totally overwhelmed with being a working mother, I bought a book called when Enough is Enough.  Yesterday at school I thought of that book between teaching, looking for tissues, coughing, meetings, figuring out what I was eating for lunch, duties, grading papers and looking for the next drug I was suppose to be taking. That is why at 6 o'clock this morning I told Rob to call me in sick. I don't want to do it all anymore. I don't even want to do some of it. In fact, I don't even want to get dress today and I probably won't. I can tell you a few of the things that got me to this point. Panty hose. I hate panty hose and refuse to wear them. I did, at one time get up in the morning put on panty hose and a dress and go to work.  That was one of the stupidest things I ever made myself endure. I use to think that principals were smarter than teachers. That was also one of the stupidest things I made myself endure. About the same time I had enough of principals, I also had enough of what other people thought of me. Let me tell you worrying about what other people think is a total waste of time. Now, I just find it flattering if anyone is thinking of me at all. I also, around 40, realized there is no perfect life or family. Norman Rockwell was an artist not a therapist. I've actually fallen in love with my dysfunctional family and friends, and I'm sure we give other people who haven't had enough yet, something to talk about. I have definitely had enough of dieting and trying to have a body that looks good in a bathing suit. I have not had one person refuse to stay at my beach house because I don't have a bathing suit body. I have lots of cute little cover ups and there are always sweat pants and tee shirts.  High heels are dangerous and really bad for your feet. I've had enough of those too. I don't know when I had enough of trying to be fake nice, but trying to be overly nice doesn't become me so I don't do that either. I don't have my nails done as much as I once did because, YES, you guessed it, I've had about enough of that, too. I am also going to give away all my teacher clothes when I retire because I've had enough of that boring school teacher look. I really can't believe some of the things I've done in my life because I thought I was suppose to talk, act or look a certain way. Let me save all of you alot of time. Be you. Don't let anyone tell you something that you know in your heart and mind is wrong, stupid, or just not worth your time or worry. I just really can't believe I wore panty hose.

3 comments:

  1. I HATE panty hose. Hate heels too. I am just me. I have always been just me. Take me or leave me, love me or hate me, this is just as good as it gets with me!

    Great post, Mrs. M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I think everyone needs to take a lesson from your writing. Since my heart scare, I've been doing a lot more soul-searching. And you know what.........it is what it is. I've vowed to not do schoolwork everynight. I work from the minute I get there till the minute I leave. I work while eating my lunch, with a fork or spoon in one hand, and a pen in the other. When I get home...no one is paying me and I'm not going to stay up late, or miss out on family or friends time to do schoolwork anymore. If it doesn't get finished, it will just have to wait until another day. Hope you're feeling better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you have a lot of free time on your hands...since you have given up all that stuff...enjoy!

    ReplyDelete