Thursday, January 27, 2011

OK, so I'm not a Princess

Many of you who have really known me since childhood know I'm not a Princess but for you others who may get caught up in my delusions with me I thought I'd better clarify a few things. One, I grew up with three brothers who liked to torture me and my dolls .I grew up with boys so I know how to fight, shoot a gun, dig a hole, and fish. I've camped, backpacked, kayaked, and spent hours in Cheat River and in the woods.I grew up in Rowlesburg, a tiny mountain, river valley town. We made our own fun with very little money. We played ball, games and rode our bikes in our neighborhood called Tar Hole. One of my brothers is my twin, he was always in every class, every school activity, Sunday School, 4-H, summer, fall, winter and spring.  We also went to college together. He loves nothing better than to irritate me. Two, I have had one kind of job or another since I started babysitting at 12. I know what it is like to work in a store like Walmart, sell ice cream, be an office assistant, etc., because I've done it. I graduated from college on a Friday and started subbing the next Monday. I've been a poor young Preston County school teacher with a mortgage, car payments, and my husband's school loans to pay back. I've cut grass, used a weed eater, helped paint our house, shoveled snow, and used a snow blower. I know how to jump start a car, drive a shift, a 4-wheel drive, a sports car, and a truck. I've ridden dirt bikes and motorcycles. I've shoveled flood mud, gone without utilities for weeks, hauled water, taken a bath in the river, and walked to school and work. Most of my working life, I've been a teacher, a mother, cleaned our house, washed clothes, ran errands, and cooked.  I look for bargains, shop clearance racks, and I'm generally happiest in sweats or a bathing suit. Three, I've worked in Preston County Schools for 30 years through consolidation, floods, fires, blizzards, and a state take over. Four, my life has not and still is not glamorous. I teach, check on my parents, wait on my son, look out for nieces and nephews, take care of Rob, and I always have some kind of cause I'm fighting for. Five, I've had battles to fight may entire life like my weight, anxiety, and back problems. I'm on medication for high blood pressure and anxiety. So, you can see I'm not a Princess. I sleep a lot because I'm a middle age, menopausal, medicated woman, who gets tired after spending the day with 9 and 10 year olds, who take great pleasure in informing me that I am older than their Grandmothers. Now Queen is another thing. When I retire, in a few years, I do plan on hiring as many things done for me as I can. I plan on spending the winters in Florida walking around in beach clothes and flip flops, waking up at noon, and spending the day at the beach writing and looking for shells. Late spring, summer and fall will be on the Cheat River in Rowlesburg. After snow shoveling and snow blowing today, I've decided it will be possible to get this body into Queen shape, but probably never Princess shape so I am officially giving up on being a Princess.

No comments:

Post a Comment