Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I hate school and I'm the teacher.

Being a teacher on a day like this  is a nightmare. It starts as soon as the kids hit the door. "Are we getting out early?" It is down hill after that. They watch the only window in the room instead of paying attention. They interrupt my classroom instruction to give weather reports. Then there is the dreaded moment when a teacher from another class walks into your room and informs your class that they are going home at noon. Cheers go up and instruction goes out the window, and you realize you still have two hours to go until the kids are leaving. Then it starts endless announcements and classroom interruptions. Across the intercom comes ... "Teachers, teachers put your radios on Channel 10. My radio has been corroded shut since September. Next announcement ......"Kindergarten, you will be eating lunch at 9:30"   Ten hands go up.  "Mrs. Morell, Mrs. Morell, What time do we get to eat lunch."  "Can we all eat lunch in the room with you." At this point I'm thinking, "Did I remember to take my Prozac this morning."  Specialty teacher arrives at the doorway ... "Will you be sending your kids to specialty class today." I have no idea what I'm doing because no one has told me anything at this time. I try to save a little of the day by trying to convince the kids that it is not snow that it is white rain. So I have a room full of kids, a snow storm outside, and a school counselor (of course male) who walks in at this point and wants to know if I have the 999 page testing survey filled out because we are testing tomorrow. Then my cell phone starts ringing.  The cell phone that I'm not suppose to answer but people are calling because they can't get through to the school to tell them about all the wrecks and the road closures, and for one split second it occurs to me that the early out may turn into a sleep over. More teachers arrive in my classroom to give me more information, more questions, more requests. It hits me I need to get snow day work ready. Thank God for Brandy because I'm trying to figure out when to fill out the 999 page test survey and get things copied on a copier that's been broken for two days. Another announcement "Teachers, please pay attention to announcements we have 600 plus kids to feed in the next hour 1/2 if we are going to be able to count this as an instructual school day. Another teacher pops into my room to inform me she is getting a migraine.  I'm not sure why she thinks I care. Another announcement "Fourth graders report to lunch," " I know you just ate breakfast, but go eat again" I inform my class. Great, a quite moment to work on the 999 page testing survey. A teacher walks into my room to use my microwave, and informs me my microwave is not working. I stop to try and fix it. Now back to the survey. The 30 minute lunch is only 15 minutes because there are still more kids to feed. I have to get my snow day work ready for kids or I may get fired. Fired at this point almost sounds like a vacation to a tropical place. Recess. Next announcement ....."Teachers, please listen carefully to all bus announcements, buses are not going to be called in the same order tonight and may not arrive at all. "Mrs. Morell, are we staying here tonight?" Cell phone rings  ...... buses are stopped behind wrecks. Finally get microwave fixed. Wait I can't eat I have bus passes to write. Only 697 more pages to fill out on the form. "Mrs. Morell he pushed me."  "I didn't push you, I accidentally ran into you."  Everyone sit down and be quiet. "Mrs. Morell, I don't want to stay here tonight.  "Nobody is staying here tonight." Finally buses start being called. Reports are coming in that the roads are horrible. Snow day packets, bus passes, survey, "I have to go to the bathroom, Mrs. Morell"  "He hit me again." "Teachers. please listen carefully to the buses being called. 4th grade teachers we are looking for a student." Send lice announcement paper home. Another announcement. "Teachers, the official word is you can't go home until the roads get hazardous. What do you think we pay you for?" Today I hated school and yes I am the teacher.

3 comments:

  1. I need a xanax just READING that.. cannot imagine that being my day.. Teachers are underappreciated and underpaid, that is FOR SURE.

    Glad you made it home safely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why we get paid the big bucks...to be the calm in the midst of the storm! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No offense, I'm glad I'm a artist and I only have to put up with my paintings. I couldn't take that madness.

    Your like a part time Mom with 25 or 30 kids. Hats off to you Mom!

    ReplyDelete