Wednesday, March 23, 2011

DO NOT TRY THIS

Everyone has heard the disclaimer ...... Do Not Try This At Home.  Well, there needs to be one for the beach, too. My observations of people at the beach today brought me to this conslusion. I think people think once you have a bathing suit on, your hair is blowing in the ocean breeze, and your feet touch the sand that somethng magical happens to your body. There is a reason that boogie boards are mainly sold to kids and teenagers. They are not designed for worn out hips, knees, and bodies carrying around 50 plus pounds, but people try. So on my rather peaceful stroll down the beach with Rob, we once again observed the middle age father trying to show his son how to boogie board. The toss of the board onto the wave, the run for the board and then the full body belly smack into a three inch wave hitting hard sand. The next observation was the Mom and Grandmother playing beach paddle ball. Now if you have never in your life played ping pong or tennis, why would you think you could play beach paddle ball?  It was amusing. I laughed so hard I almost chocked on my Pina Colada slushy. Yesterday was a different story. There was a large group of college kids playing beach volleyball, soccer, and boogie boarding. They were graceful, agle, quick with their feet. Their muscles rippled when they ran, not an ounce of fat. They would run to their boards, ride out a wave and end it with a 360 and a toss of their hair. I watched all this from the safety of my beach chair. I know what I'm capable of at the beach. Rob fills up the beach cart with everything I might need for the day, and off we go. I place myself in my chair with cupholder and beach bag and cooler near by for my needs. I have even learned to wear  a bathing suit that allows for quick trips to the bathroom. I don't pretend that I once knew how to surf or boogie board. I nap, read magazines, go for walks, pick up shells, and occasionally reapply my sunscreen to prevent wrinkles.  PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS AT THE BEACH !!!!  THANK YOU!!

1 comment:

  1. OMG sooooooooo hilarious!!!!!!! I'm still kind of wondering about the bathing suit,but I think I'll just let it go! lol I love watching the 'sights' there.

    Happy that you are enjoying yourself. :D

    ReplyDelete