Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Sunday dinner

Today while my cousin was giving the eulogy at my Uncle Jim's funeral, he mentioned how he missed Sunday dinner at the Grandparent's house. I've seen black and white, scalloped edged photographs of Sunday dinners at my maternal grandparent's home in Grafton. I'm one of the youngest cousins so I have few memories of the Sunday dinners there but many memories of Sunday and holiday dinners at my paternal grandparent's home in Rowlesburg. We are "common folk" so family meals were homemade with love and homegrown vegetables and fruits, canned during the hot, humid summer days, and stored away for meals like these. Adults surrounded the dining table and kids find space wherever to consume their plate. My Grandmothers were great cooks and we grew up with treats like homemade desserts and root beer made and bottled at home by my Grandmother. Grace was always said and plates were cleaned. There was talking, sharing, and playing. My cousin, Terry, made me think about what we have given up with not making time for Sunday dinners and what are our children missing from this tradition. Modern society has placed great emphasis on sports and organized activities for our kids that flow through the week into the weekend and then some. We grab fast food meals to fit into our fast paced life. So, as Terry said, the cousins only see each other at weddings and funerals now, and lately, way too often at funerals. We reacquaint ourselves, try to catch up, reminisce, and introduce the younger cousins to each other at these ceremonial events. Everyone has grown up and aged, and one can't help but  reflect on where the time has gone. My Mom made the statement yesterday that she has everything she needs. I know that that she didn't mean material things. I hope I'm intelligent enough to make more time for my family and cousins. Terry also reminded us that none of us know how much time we each have on earth or with our families.  It could be years or just a few moments more, so choose your moments and memories wisely.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the memories. I remember making buttermilk biscuits with my mam maw and using a tin can to cut them with. I got to eat, raw of course, the little bits left between the circles. I wish I could make those biscuits myself, but that is lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have just inspired me to start Sunday dinners.. even if it is just for the 3 of us! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete