Sunday, March 6, 2011

Viewing a segment of your life

Cold, snowing, Sundays give me a time to reflect. So I am. A lesson I've learned in life is to stop and take a step back and view yourself as an outsider. Listen to yourself and what others around you are saying. Look at your actions and the actions of others you choose to be around. Examine your deeds and those of your friends. What do you hear and see? What do they say? In my later years, I have also asked myself what explanation would I give to God if he plays these segments back to me when deciding whether I'm worthy of him. Am I really as compassionate as I can be? Do I look out for others like I do my own family? Do I judge others and think myself better? Do I honor my mother  and father? Do I look out for the weak?  Do I take up for those who can't take up for themselves? Should I speak up more when others are judgemental and cruel with their words? I think too many of us never see the big picture. We get caught up in material things, our own kids, our own neighborhoods, our own families, our looks, our homes. We forget that we are all in this together. The older I get the more that I think words or lip service is not enough. Standing by quitely, while others discriminate, play favorites, judge others, and generally do wrong is not acceptable. I have the ability to upset others when I stand up for others, make a stand, or take up for others that some feel not worthy, but I think I have to answer only to one when the final segments of my life are played back for me to explain. There really is a bigger picture, much bigger.

1 comment: